Simple affordable do-it-yourself projects can make your home more sellable in a competitive real estate market. If you are considering listing your home for sale or have had your home on the market but haven’t received an offer, here are some simple tips to make your home stand out.
1. Clean and Declutter. You may have heard this tip before but I can’t stress the importance of ridding your home clutter. You’ll be amazed how your home will sparkle by just removing personal items, decluttering kitchen and bath countertops, and organizing closets and shelves.
2. Light and Bright. Open your blinds, remove sheets and wash dirty smudged windows to let natural light in. If the room still appears dark, add some lamps or turn on overhead lighting when you are going to have a showing. Sometimes just adding a fresh coat of white or a neutral colored paint will brighten and make a room feel larger.
3. Staging. Rearranging your furniture in a room can make all the difference in the world! Remove bulky pieces, add some accessories and remove personal photos and collections.
4. Flooring. Remove small throw rugs from bathrooms and kitchens because they make the floor space appear smaller. Have your carpets cleaned by a professional carpet cleaner and if necessary have the carpets stretched. If you have wood floors that are dull or scratched, have the floors buffed and polished.
5. Update lighting. Replace dated or inadequate lighting fixtures with updated light fixtures and make sure to add increased bulb wattage to add brightness to you rooms and hallways.
6. Spruce Up Landscaping. Cut back overgrown shrubs and bushes so your home can be seen from the street and more natural light can filter in through the windows. Pull weeds and water the grass so it is nice and green.
Just a few simple tips that can help you sell your home quicker and get you a better price in today’s real estate market.